Love the book - Diamond in my Pocket

Maria
Dear Lorena,

I just read the first book. I really liked it.

There is one question that Calli never asked Ms Winters. Why is everybody so hateful and arrogant at the facility? They all seem to have a horrible attitude problem.

Don't the trainers/teachers notice this, don't they realize this is a huge problem? Why are terms like "muck" even tolerated?

Since all beings are talented in a huge variety of ways, being able to run fast does not set you on a pedestal! When all the students are so hateful to a newcomer the emotional climate is really diseased.

Keep writing,

Maria

Re: Love the book - Diamond in my Pocket

Lorena Angell
Administrator
Thanks for posting a question on the forum, Maria.

You raise a good question. I will definitely try to work a better explanation into the manuscript of book one before it goes to print in 2014. Perhaps Calli will ask Clara, or maybe Beth will explain to Calli why everyone is on edge.

For now, here's how I would explain the stuck-up, snobby attitudes of the Runners. (Please forgive my typo's or inconsistent tense. I've been glued to the computer screen for I don't know how long and my mind is a bit fuzzy.)

Imagine being a Runner. Great body, incredible looks, popular, the whole nine yards. Each of these kids would have undoubtedly been the best looking or most beautiful in their school or age group. Then, one day, they become freaks of nature and are taken away from their comfortable life of being on top and placed in a group where everyone is just like them. Everyone is beautiful or gorgeous. Everyone is a perfect "ten." Everyone is a fast athlete with only mere milliseconds difference between times.

When that happens, the only thing that differentiates one from the next is accomplishment and status. Who is the fastest? Who is the oldest? Who is young in age, yet faster than older clan members?

Now, throw in the fact the government is spying on their compound, searching for some reason to invade and take down the potential threat. These Runners no longer fit in their regular lifestyles back home. If the compound is closed, where would they go? What if their powers were discovered? Normal "humans" can't accept the existence of superpowered people.

Every new Runner brings a new threat to each individual at the Runner's compound. Will the new kid be faster than others who have trained hard to climb the rank ladder? It's not a good place to be, especially for Calli. She doesn't fit the description of a naturally born Runner. The other girls can see the difference. Clara Winter sees the difference.

I hope this helps explain the negative emotion that runs through the Runner's compound. Now that I've typed it out, I think Clara should tell this to Calli when she explains the meaning of the word "muck."

~Lorena